Friday, November 4, 2011

Cormac Mccarthy Blog (Is Love All You Need?)


In the novel The Road Cormac Mccarthy shows a lot of love between the father and the son. It's not put in text either of them saying "I love you" but it's evident in all of their actions and most things they do. It wasn't a shock to find out that Mccarthy actually got most of the conversations out of the book (between the father and son) from actual conversations he had with his son. In this story love is basically the only thing keeping them moving. Their love for each other gives them the hope to live on and keep on carrying "the fire". So that leads me to believe that the message Mccarthy is trying to state is that love is all you really need to give you faith in times of need. Without each other I'm pretty sure they'd both have given up a long time ago. They'd have no motivation to move on. No reason to keep going.
            John said, "Papa, what would you do if I died?" I said, "I'd want to die, too," and he said, "So you could be with me?" I said, "Yes, so I could be with you." Mccarthy stated this conversation between his self and his son in an interview. He clearly feels that he'd do ANYTHING to be with his son. Whether it be in life or death. So the real question is, “Was that also the message he was sending in The Road?”  And the answer to that question is yes. The father and the son clearly don't want to live or die without each other. But honestly in a situation like the one in The Road would love keep YOU going? I probably would've given up.

No comments:

Post a Comment