Thursday, September 15, 2011

Arrival's...There Goes The Neighborhood

I suppose I will write about what I experienced when I first moved on the block that I live on now.  (I’m supposed to be writing about a cultural clash I’ve witnessed or been a part of) So when I first moved onto the block I’m living on now I use to get teased by the kids I went to school with and I was looked at as a foreigner on so many levels. I was somewhat of a goody two shoes to them. I spoke too properly. I was too neat, I was too smart. Blah blah blah. I use to feel like I’d never make a friend that I could keep or I would WANT to keep. These kids from my hood aren’t stupid, they just work to their full potential. Most of them thought I acted like a silly “white” girl. Most still think the same of me. I was a thing of mystery to them. There were rumors and such, people were telling me things about myself that I didn’t even know. Lol . But the thing is I grew to love my hood. I believe I grew on them too. It’s like once they got to know me there was a new found respect on both ends. We do things differently but there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be able to live in harmony. They still think I’m a bit goofy, over achieving, and crazy but they love it. It’s what makes me who I am. I LOVE MY HOOD! ; )

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People will always clash or have issues when one thinks the other isn't JUST like them, it stinks sometimes, but its always good to hear that you grew from this experience, but what do you think happened that made you respect them/ got them to respect you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiooonniiissss. (: Well, you definitely are unique, but you're a really cool person. & It's true that people can never really accept who you are, and they set expectations for you. Though, some people can actually be open-minded, and they end up being your friend. And yes, you're crazy, but you're also hilarious.
    So, yeah...bye~

    ReplyDelete